Why Mustache Dache?
The Mustache Dache isn’t all fun and games. Or, more accurately, it is pretty much all fun and games–but with an express purpose in mind; men’s health awareness and ending prostate cancer. The Mustache Dache proudly grows the Mo for Movember, a global nonprofit aimed at changing the face of men’s health. Goals for the Mustache Dache include:
- Raise awareness of men’s health issues with a large-scale run/walk event: The Mustache Dache!
- Encourage healthy behaviors among all segments of the population; namely, walking and running
- Contribute to and amplify the efforts of Movember
Take a minute to review some of the health facts below to see why we feel that health charities like Movember are so important:
- The average life expectancy for men is five years fewer than women (presently 77 years old compared to 82).
- 1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women, will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
- Evidence suggests that about a third of the 571,950 cancer deaths expected to occur this year will be related to obesity, physical inactivity and poor nutrition, and thus could be prevented.
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- In 2012, 242,000 new cases of the disease will be diagnosed and more than 28,000 men will die of prostate cancer.
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in American males between the ages of 15 and 35.
- 8,590 men will be diagnosed with the disease in 2012 and 360 will die.
- 6 million people die every year from tobacco use and exposure to tobacco smoke. One person dies every six seconds.
- 1 in every 13 men will develop lung cancer.
- While not as common, men can get breast cancer. About 2,140 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed among men and about 450 men will die from the disease in 2012.
- In 2012, an estimated 13 million or 11.8% of all adult men over the age of 20 in the US have diabetes.
- Approximately 76.4 million men and women in the US have high blood pressure- 1 in 5 do not know it.
- About 1 in 3 adults has high blood pressure, and blood pressure tends to rise with age.
- Researchers estimate that at least 6 million men in the United States suffer from a depressive disorder every year.
- Four times as many men commit suicide compared with women.
- 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women.
We accomplish these three goals listed above in the following ways:
- The Mustache Dache becomes a platform and a voice for men’s health; by focusing the efforts of so many mustaches, we can accomplish so much more; no mustache grows alone.
- The Mustache Dache is the ideal way for any man, woman, or child to get started in running. We are 100% non-competitive and 100% silly. Do not mistake us for a “competition”! Get started in running the bristly way, the Mustache Dache way.
- Direct funds to Movember and its beneficiaries by donating a portion of every entry fee and encouraging Mustache Dache participants to be registered at Movember.com. To learn more about Movember’s visions, goals, and financials, please visit their web site.
Take 246 seconds out of your day to watch this great video, produced by Movember, that explains a bit about the serious side of Movember, and we grow the Mo.
Application of Funds
The Mustache Dache seeks to be transparent in financial reporting so that participants and supporters can feel confident in their support. The Mustache Dache is not a non-profit; consequently, state and federal taxes are paid.
The Mustache Dache, besides encouraging all MD’ers to register at Movember to be a Mo’Bro or Mo’Sista, donates 10% of every registration to Movember, which provides a very detailed look at where that money goes.
We want the Mustache Dache to expand! To do that, we retain a portion of the event proceeds to cover next year’s Mustache Dache and and to fund new Mustache Daches in other cities. In addition, many of the costs involved in event production are upfront, and so to maintain a responsible balance sheet a portion of funds are also retained.
Hosting the Mustache Dache is a monumental and team effort for a small group of individuals, both volunteers and paid staff. We work hard to put on a fantastic Dache. Here is a look at some of the expenses involved in the Mustache Dache:
- Chip timing fee
- Marketing fees
- Day of event staff fees
- City permits
- Traffic control costs
- Police & First Aid
- Volunteer donation
- Website design and graphic design fee
- Event rental fees
- Venue costs
- Legal costs
- Event insurance
- Website hosting
- Disposable event equipment (food, bib numbers, course marking, etc)
Please contact us with any concerns, questions, or inquiries.