Why Mustache Dache?
The Mustache Dache isn’t all fun and games. Or, more accurately, it is pretty much all fun and games–but with an express purpose in mind; raising men’s health awareness and ending prostate cancer. The Mustache Dache proudly grows the Mo for Movember, a global nonprofit aimed at changing the face of men’s health. The Mustache Dache itself is not a non-profit, but our goals support Movember and include:
- Raise awareness of men’s health issues, specifically prostate and testicular cancer
- Encourage healthy behaviors among all segments of the population; namely, walking and running
- Contribute to and amplify the efforts of Movember
Take a minute to review some of the health facts below to see why we feel that health charities like Movember are so important:
- Average life expectancy for men in the United States is almost five years less than women (presently 76.2 years compared to 81 years)
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
- 12.1% of men 18 years and over are in fair or poor health
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- Prostate cancer is the 2nd most common cancer in men in the United States
- In 2014, more than 233,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer
- 1 in 36 men will die from prostate cancer
- Risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer increases with age
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in young men aged 15 – 35 years
- About 8,820 new cases of testicular cancer will be diagnosed this year
- About 380 men will die of testicular cancer
- The five-year relative survival rate for men in the United States with localized testicular cancer is 99%
- 1 in 4 adults in the United States will experience a mental health problem in a given year
- Around 15 million American adults (6.7% of the population) are diagnosed with depression each year
- More than four times as many men as women die by suicide in the United States
We accomplish these three goals listed above in the following ways:
- The Mustache Dache becomes a platform and a voice for men’s health; by focusing the efforts of so many mustaches, we can accomplish much more; no mustache grows alone.
- The Mustache Dache is a great way to be more active. The event is non-competitive and doesn’t take itself too seriously. Get started in running with the Mustache Dache!
- Out of every entry fee, $2 is donated to Movember, and Mustache Dache participants are encouraged to be registered at Movember.com. To learn more about Movember’s visions, goals, and financials, please visit their web site.
Take 178 seconds out of your day to watch this great video, produced by Movember, that explains a bit about the serious side of Movember, and we grow the moustache.